Santo Domingo, November 13 (EFE) .- The Dominican Medical Association (CMD) today called a new strike for November 15 and 16, the sixth in these last two months, with the purpose of demanding the Government the fulfillment of an agreement that provides a salary increase.
The strike was called less than a week after the internal elections of the CMD, whose presidency fell on Wilson Roa, in front of an iron supported by the salient holder of the guild, Waldo Ariel Suero, who will leave office in December.
When announcing today's press conference the new strike, Suero He complied with his threats that the stoppage of the union would continue after the elections of November 8, before the supposed refusal of the Minister of Health, Altagracia Guzmán Marcelino, to talk with health professionals to reach an agreement.
The CMD called a strike, according to his directive in a statement, "given the radical position of the minister and her refusal to dialogue. "
During the strike, which will affect public hospitals, only emergencies and patients in critical condition will be attended.
In November 2016, after almost seven months of negotiations and work stoppages, a salary increase of 25% was agreed for professionals in the sector and access to pensions for 1,800 people, among others improvements for health workers.
The agreement established that the salary increase would be carried out in two parts, one of 10%, which was applied as of January of this year, and another equivalent to 15%, scheduled for August.
However, the CMD ensures that more than 5,000 doctors, most of them workers from hospitals belonging to the Dominican Institute of Social Security (IDSS), were out of the second game of the increase.
The Ministry of Health says it has complied with the agreement that ordered a pay rise to doctors and Guzmán Marcelino affirmed last month that he was open to dialogue, but without pressure and whenever the elections for the presidency of the CMD take place, in which endorsed Dr. Clemente Terrero, who today challenged the results of alleged fraud.
The Minister of Health said today that she hopes to work "in harmony" with the new directive of the Dominican Medical College that will assume at the beginning of the month of December, headed by Wilson Roa.
"In the Ministry we hope that there will be no difficulties for the beginning of a sincere dialogue and frank with the CMD. Dominicans, "said the official in a statement issued by his office.